DR Congo Leaders Confirm 61 Deaths After Boat Capsizes On Lake Kivu
![]() 2240 Sunday, 21 June, 2020, 12:30 The Democratic Republic of Congo's Council of Ministers has confirmed that a total of 61 people died after a boat capsized in Lake Kivu earlier this week, the country's Actualite news portal reports, citing government sources. According to the minutes of a Council of Ministers meeting, a total of 61 people died in the incident, the portal stated on Saturday evening. The transport minister of Kivu province said that strong winds and overcrowding caused the vessel to capsize, the portal said. The incident took place this past Monday on Lake Kivu, which forms part of the border between DR Congo and Rwanda. According to initial media reports, 20 people were rescued after the boat sank. In April, at least 10 people died after a boat capsized in DR Congo's Kasai province. |

Strikes on 3 more alleged drug boats kill 11 people, U.S. military says
98717.02.2026, 23:18
Firefighter critically injured in 'catastrophic' explosion at a New York church
98417.02.2026, 22:56
3 people, including suspect, killed in shooting at Rhode Island high school hockey game (video)
94317.02.2026, 09:30
28 schools in Ahmedabad and Vadodara receive bomb threats; searches on in Gujarat
122716.02.2026, 17:52
At least 10 killed in mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge, B.C. (video)
226511.02.2026, 09:24
Small plane crashes into vehicles after emergency landing in Georgia State (video)
256010.02.2026, 10:12
Fifty-three migrants dead or missing after boat capsizes off Libya, IOM says
248409.02.2026, 16:32
Lebanon's Tripoli building collapse kills 14 (video)
235509.02.2026, 13:37
