Space heater sparked 'horrific' Bronx fire that killed 19: FDNY commissioner
Monday, 10 January, 2022, 09:36
An electric space heater is being blamed for sparking the horrific high-rise Bronx apartment fire that killed at least 19 people, including nine children, city officials confirmed Sunday evening.
The fire originated in a duplex on the second and third floors of the building but never extended past the unit and the hallway nearest the apartment, FDNY Commissioner Dan Nigro revealed. Smoke generated from the duplex blaze was able to filter out through an open door and spread throughout the 19-story structure, he explained.
"The door to that apartment unfortunately when the residents left was left open, it did not close by itself. The smoke spread throughout the building, thus the tremendous loss of life," Nigro said at an evening press briefing.
The functionality of the building's fire alarms were under investigation, but Nigro said one did alert a neighbor to the rising smoke and prompted the initial 911 call. He also said the building's heat was working as well.
Iran says 4 sentenced to death for alleged collaboration with Israeli intelligence48430.11.2022, 22:18
At least 35 killed as blast hits religious school in northern Afghanistan — media43330.11.2022, 19:06
Iran acknowledges more than 300 are dead from unrest from nationwide protests (video)49229.11.2022, 11:12
The serviceman is in a stable condition51424.11.2022, 09:18
Death toll from Indonesia's earthquake rises to 252 (video)48722.11.2022, 13:12
5 killed, 18 injured in shooting at gay nightclub in Colorado Springs47220.11.2022, 18:00
Turkey launches airstrikes over northern Syria44920.11.2022, 10:42
Russia’s Lavrov taken to hospital after landing in Bali53914.11.2022, 13:30