Hamas source to ToI: We’ll hold talks on disarming, but we can’t be forced to give up guns

A Hamas source told The Times of Israel on Sunday that the group will only agree to give up its weapons through negotiations that result in the establishment of a Palestinian state.
“This cannot be done by force or ultimatums. Israel used all of its military might for two years [to try and disarm Hamas], and it didn’t work,” the Hamas source said in a rare engagement with an Israeli media outlet.
The ability of US President Donald Trump’s Gaza peace plan to advance past its first phase largely hinges on Hamas agreeing to disarm, with Israel pledging to resume the war if the Palestinian terror group doesn’t agree to give up its weapons willingly.
Hamas’s readiness to discuss the issue may be a break from its long-standing insistence that disarmament demands are a nonstarter, but the steep conditions that the Hamas source set for progress are sure to further complicate Washington’s efforts to sustain the ceasefire in Gaza.
Hamas has managed to reassert its dominance in the near-half of the Strip from which the IDF has withdrawn since the Trump plan’s phase one truce and hostage release deal was inked on October 9.
Hamas operatives search for the bodies of Israeli hostages in the Shejaiya neighborhood of Gaza City, November 5, 2025. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi)
DOHA, Qatar — A Hamas source told The Times of Israel on Sunday that the group will only agree to give up its weapons through negotiations that result in the establishment of a Palestinian state.
“This cannot be done by force or ultimatums. Israel used all of its military might for two years [to try and disarm Hamas], and it didn’t work,” the Hamas source said in a rare engagement with an Israeli media outlet.
The ability of US President Donald Trump’s Gaza peace plan to advance past its first phase largely hinges on Hamas agreeing to disarm, with Israel pledging to resume the war if the Palestinian terror group doesn’t agree to give up its weapons willingly.
00:08
40:54
Hamas’s readiness to discuss the issue may be a break from its long-standing insistence that disarmament demands are a nonstarter, but the steep conditions that the Hamas source set for progress are sure to further complicate Washington’s efforts to sustain the ceasefire in Gaza.
Hamas has managed to reassert its dominance in the near-half of the Strip from which the IDF has withdrawn since the Trump plan’s phase one truce and hostage release deal was inked on October 9.
Get The Times of Israel's Daily Editionby email and never miss our top stories
Newsletter email address Get it
By signing up, you agree to the terms
The group agreed in that October deal to return, in one batch, all 20 remaining living hostages, giving up what had been seen as its remaining leverage over Israel despite having insisted for more than two years that the release would only be carried out in exchange for the full IDF withdrawal from Gaza. It also agreed to return the 28 bodies of deceased hostages still being held in the Strip. Twenty-seven of the bodies have been returned in a protracted process.

Turkey failed to find a buyer for Russian S-400s and may send them for scrap
34000:53
Explosion reported at school in Afghan capital Kabul
360Yesterday, 22:09
Jared Kushner to visit Israel and Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza
701Yesterday, 00:09
Renaissance paintings by Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicilian museum
68116.08.2026, 23:11
Astronomers find water in the harsh environment near the Milky Way's black hole
69916.08.2026, 21:13
Here are the results of the Armenian chess players at the 2026 European Junior U20 Chess Championship (photo)
46016.08.2026, 20:36
Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami announces $30,000 reward for killed, captured US soldiers
72316.08.2026, 16:25
U.S. military has lost roughly 25% of its Reaper drones as Iran war depletes arsenal
143313.08.2026, 22:53