USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier headed from Caribbean to Middle East: Officials

The USS Gerald R. Ford carrier strike group is expected to leave the Caribbean and head towards the Middle East in the coming days, according to three U.S. officials.
The deployment of the Ford and the three destroyers accompanying it will mean that there will be two aircraft carriers in the Middle East as it joins the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group.
The deployment comes after President Donald Trump said earlier this week in an interview with Axios that he was considering sending a second carrier to the Middle East if talks with Iran about its nuclear program did not succeed.
The crew of the carrier and the supporting ships were told on Thursday about the new deployment to the Middle East, according to the officials.
The New York Times first reported the Ford’s new deployment to the Middle East.
The Ford is now expected to return to its home port in Norfolk around late April or early May, according to one U.S. official. The carrier had left Norfolk in late June for what was to be a seven-month deployment to Europe, but in late October it was redirected towards the Caribbean as part of the Trump administration’s large buildup of military forces to counter South American drug cartels.
The carrier strike group will once again cross the Atlantic and the Mediterranean for a deployment that could now last as long as 10 months.
The Ford is the world’s largest carrier and its presence in the Caribbean was seen as putting pressure on then-Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his government.
Some of the aircraft aboard the carrier participated in the Jan. 3 raid in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas that led to Maduro’s capture.

Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral ties, Iran and Gaza in phone call
71918.08.2026, 10:24
Kushner has rare meeting with Hamas’ leader on Gaza
90017.08.2026, 10:29
Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan
103017.08.2026, 09:32
Israeli officials stunned by Iran’s rapid military recovery after 2026 war
146615.08.2026, 09:07
All goals of Russia's special military operation will be achieved - Lavrov
156514.08.2026, 16:34
Vance says low oil prices are top US goal in Iran conflict (video)
145214.08.2026, 14:46
Scott Bessent says US to apply 'never been seen' measures on Iran
146414.08.2026, 09:29
Finland will allocate €28.5 million to restore Ukraine’s energy sector
142213.08.2026, 17:39