Head of France's Versailles Palace to take over Louvre

21992
Wednesday, 25 February, 2026, 14:55
The president of France's Palace of Versailles is expected to take over as head of the Louvre following the resignation of Laurence des Cars after a $100-million robbery at the museum last year, an informed source told AFP on Wednesday.
The appointment of Christophe Leribault is expected to be announced at a cabinet meeting later Wednesday, the source said, adding that he would be tasked with "securing" and "modernising" the world's most-visited museum.

Brazilian police recover Matisse engravings stolen in 2025 (video)
371Yesterday, 22:35
Danish town plans for underground parking garage, finds long-lost medieval convent
379Yesterday, 22:11
The Odyssey becomes Christopher Nolan’s highest grossing film as it passes $1.1bn at box office
353710.08.2026, 23:51
Italian con artist jailed for building 'world's oldest and largest amphitheatre' 20-years ago (video)
759603.08.2026, 22:54
Russian Tsar’s lodge in eastern Türkiye to be turned into hotel (photo)
483403.08.2026, 19:46
‘Odysseus’ TV Series Readied By ‘Stranger Things’ Exec, ‘Halo’ Director & Greek Outfit Tanweer
907219.07.2026, 20:24
Georgia uncorks the value of Stalin's 40,000-bottle wine collection (photo)
1801409.07.2026, 23:51
Polish billionaire to build massive Virgin Mary statue, taller than Rio's Christ the Redeemer (photo)
1521315.06.2026, 23:13