Netanyahu։ "Israel struck Damascus in defense of the Druze"

Israel struck a target near the presidential palace in Damascus to prevent a threat to the Druze community in Syria, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a joint statement with Defense Minister Israel Katz, quoted by Ynet. "Israel struck near the presidential palace in Damascus. This is a clear signal to the Syrian regime. We will not allow the deployment of forces south of Damascus and any threat to the Druze community," he said.
Earlier, Katz threatened the new authorities in Damascus with tough actions if attacks on Syrian Druze do not stop.
On Wednesday night, clashes broke out between armed groups and Druze self-defense fighters in the Syrian city of Sahnay, near Damascus, where the Druze population predominantly resides.
The Druze are an ethno-confessional group of Arabs who live in Lebanon, Syria, Israel and Jordan. Since the change of power in Damascus at the end of last year, the Israeli leadership has repeatedly stated its commitment to protecting the Syrian Druze.

Azerbaijan working to ease tensions between Israel and Turkey
17220:21
Chinese robot beats Usain Bolt's 100m world record in test run
34800:04
Iranian army says its military doctrine shifting from 'defensive to offensive'
545Yesterday, 12:25
Netanyahu holds security meeting on Syria and Turkey
42221.08.2026, 23:35
Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral ties, Iran and Gaza in phone call
108618.08.2026, 10:24
Kushner has rare meeting with Hamas’ leader on Gaza
122917.08.2026, 10:29
Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan
134417.08.2026, 09:32
Israeli officials stunned by Iran’s rapid military recovery after 2026 war
175115.08.2026, 09:07