US not expanding military objectives in Iran, Hegseth says

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Thursday the United States was not expanding its military objectives in Iran, after President Donald Trump told Reuters the United States must be involved in choosing the next leader of Iran.
The Pentagon earlier this week said the military campaign, known as Operation Epic Fury, is focused on destroying Iran's offensive missiles, missile production and navy, while not allowing Tehran to have a nuclear weapon.
"There's no expansion in our objectives. We know exactly what we're trying to achieve," Hegseth said.
He added that Trump was "having a heck of a say in who runs Iran given the ongoing operation."
In a telephone interview with Reuters on Thursday, Trump said the United States would have to help pick the next person to lead the country.

Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral ties, Iran and Gaza in phone call
68618.08.2026, 10:24
Kushner has rare meeting with Hamas’ leader on Gaza
86917.08.2026, 10:29
Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan
98617.08.2026, 09:32
Israeli officials stunned by Iran’s rapid military recovery after 2026 war
143515.08.2026, 09:07
All goals of Russia's special military operation will be achieved - Lavrov
154114.08.2026, 16:34
Vance says low oil prices are top US goal in Iran conflict (video)
143014.08.2026, 14:46
Scott Bessent says US to apply 'never been seen' measures on Iran
144114.08.2026, 09:29
Finland will allocate €28.5 million to restore Ukraine’s energy sector
140113.08.2026, 17:39