Two killed and many injured after car driven into crowd in German city of Leipzig

Two people have died and several were injured after a car drove into a crowd in the eastern German city of Leipzig on Monday afternoon, local authorities said.
Mayor Burkhard Jung said the suspected perpetrator was apprehended, adding that authorities were not yet clear on the motivation.
Leipzig fire chief Axel Schuh said 22 people were injured, two seriously.
Approximately 40 firefighters and 40 paramedics are on the scene, along with two helicopters, Schuh said.
Police confirmed that a car had struck several people in the central Grimmaische Straße area before driving off.
The driver was later arrested "and there is currently no further danger emanating from him", according to police.
At about 17:35 (15:35 GMT), Radio Leipzig reported that police said the danger was over and that the area around the square had been cordoned off.
Unverified images posted on social media showed a yellow emergency helicopter near the scene as well as several ambulances.

Jared Kushner to visit Israel and Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza
51900:09
Renaissance paintings by Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicilian museum
504Yesterday, 23:11
Astronomers find water in the harsh environment near the Milky Way's black hole
563Yesterday, 21:13
Here are the results of the Armenian chess players at the 2026 European Junior U20 Chess Championship (photo)
378Yesterday, 20:36
Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami announces $30,000 reward for killed, captured US soldiers
601Yesterday, 16:25
U.S. military has lost roughly 25% of its Reaper drones as Iran war depletes arsenal
131613.08.2026, 22:53
Trump administration cuts Medicaid funding for youth gender-affirming care
143913.08.2026, 00:11
Trump sued over Truth Social's $100,000 early access service
128812.08.2026, 23:56