At least 42 migrants missing, presumed dead, after boat capsizes off Libya, IOM says

At least 42 migrants are missing and presumed dead after a rubber boat capsized off the coast of Libya, the International Organization for Migration said on Wednesday.
Libyan authorities rescued seven survivors who had drifted at sea for six days after the vessel, carrying 49 people, sank near the Al Buri oilfield, an offshore facility north-northwest of the Libyan coast. Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Gaddafi during a NATO-backed uprising.
The number of migrants who drowned in the central Mediterranean had already surpassed 1,000 this year, the IOM said, and this week's incident raised that toll "even further". Across the entire Mediterranean, there were 2,452 such deaths in 2024, IOM data shows.
"This tragic event, coming just weeks after other deadly incidents off Surman and Lampedusa, underscores the persistent dangers faced by migrants and refugees along the Central Mediterranean Route," it said in the statement.

Turkey failed to find a buyer for Russian S-400s and may send them for scrap
38300:53
Explosion reported at school in Afghan capital Kabul
404Yesterday, 22:09
Jared Kushner to visit Israel and Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza
727Yesterday, 00:09
Renaissance paintings by Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicilian museum
70316.08.2026, 23:11
Astronomers find water in the harsh environment near the Milky Way's black hole
71916.08.2026, 21:13
Here are the results of the Armenian chess players at the 2026 European Junior U20 Chess Championship (photo)
47116.08.2026, 20:36
Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami announces $30,000 reward for killed, captured US soldiers
74116.08.2026, 16:25
U.S. military has lost roughly 25% of its Reaper drones as Iran war depletes arsenal
145113.08.2026, 22:53