Spanish prosecutors drop sexual assault complaint against Julio Iglesias
![]() 1704 Saturday, 24 January, 2026, 18:33 Spanish prosecutors have shelved a complaint brought by two women who have accused the singer Julio Iglesias of sexual assault and human trafficking, arguing the country’s courts have no jurisdiction as the alleged offences took place outside Spain. Two female former employees who worked at Iglesias’s Caribbean mansions 10 days ago accused the veteran entertainer of sexual assault, saying they had been subjected “to inappropriate touching, insults and humiliation … in an atmosphere of control and constant harassment”. The two complainants – a domestic worker and a physical therapist employed at mansions in the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas – filed their complaint with prosecutors at Spain’s highest criminal court, the Audiencia Nacional. In a decision issued on Friday, prosecutors rejected the case, saying Spanish courts “lacked jurisdiction” because the alleged offences had not taken place in the country. A filing seen by Reuters from the prosecutors said while the high court was unable to hear the case, prosecution could still be sought in the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas. One of the women, referred to as Rebeca to protect her identity, said Iglesias, who was 77 at the time, would frequently call her to his room at the end of the working day. She said he would then penetrate her anally and vaginally with his fingers without her consent. “He used me almost every night,” she told elDiario.es and Univision Noticias. “I felt like an object, like a slave.” According to Rebeca, the assaults habitually took place in the presence – and with the participation – of another employee who was her superior. Another woman, using the pseudonym Laura, said Iglesias kissed her on the mouth and touched her breasts without her consent. skip past newsletter promotionSign up to Headlines Europe |

CNN reported a record 300-year drop in the birth rate in Ukraine
164Yesterday, 22:55
Ararat Mirzoyan will pay a working visit to Switzerland
200Yesterday, 21:43
Climber convicted of manslaughter after leaving girlfriend on Austria’s highest peak to seek help
244Yesterday, 20:52
Armed man shot and killed after entering Mar-a-Lago secure perimeter, Secret Service says
265Yesterday, 18:24
Third Tejas LCA crash: Aircraft damaged, pilot safe after landing incident
266Yesterday, 18:12
Epstein estate agrees to $35 million settlement in victim claims
55521.02.2026, 16:30
US Amasses Forces as Trump Says Iran Has Just Days for Deal
89620.02.2026, 01:01
Trump Gets Pledges for Gaza Reconstruction and Troop Commitments at Inaugural Board of Peace Talks
89520.02.2026, 00:18
