UN Secretary-General condemns Israel's massive strikes across Lebanon

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday unequivocally condemned Israel's massive strikes across Lebanon earlier in the day, his spokesperson said.
"The Secretary-General strongly condemns the loss of civilian lives and is deeply alarmed by the mounting toll on civilians," Stephane Dujarric said in a statement, referring to the hundreds of civilians, including children, killed or injured by the strikes.
The ongoing military activity in Lebanon poses a grave risk to the U.S.-Iran ceasefire and the efforts toward a lasting and comprehensive peace in the region, he added.
"The Secretary-General reiterates his call to all parties to immediately cease hostilities," he said, stressing that international law must be respected at all times, civilians and civilian objects must be protected at all times, and attacks directed against them are unacceptable.
Underscoring that there is no military solution to the conflict, Dujarric said the secretary-general continues to call on all sides to avail themselves of diplomatic channels and recommit to the full implementation of Security Council resolution 1701. ■

Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral ties, Iran and Gaza in phone call
64818.08.2026, 10:24
Kushner has rare meeting with Hamas’ leader on Gaza
83317.08.2026, 10:29
Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan
92617.08.2026, 09:32
Israeli officials stunned by Iran’s rapid military recovery after 2026 war
139615.08.2026, 09:07
All goals of Russia's special military operation will be achieved - Lavrov
151714.08.2026, 16:34
Vance says low oil prices are top US goal in Iran conflict (video)
140614.08.2026, 14:46
Scott Bessent says US to apply 'never been seen' measures on Iran
141714.08.2026, 09:29
Finland will allocate €28.5 million to restore Ukraine’s energy sector
137713.08.2026, 17:39