Trump pushing Iran to make firmer nuclear commitments in initial deal: Sources

President Donald Trump is demanding that Tehran put specific nuclear concessions down in writing as part of a preliminary agreement aimed at pushing past the drawn-out deadlock between the U.S. and Iran, U.S. officials and another source familiar with the matter tell ABC News.
Iranian negotiators previously gave verbal assurances that the regime would ultimately agree to certain terms related to Iran’s nuclear program, but the president determined during a meeting in the Situation Room on Friday that those commitments were not strong enough, the sources said.
For weeks, talks between the U.S. and Iran have centered on reaching a preliminary memorandum of understanding, which would formally extend the fragile ceasefire between the countries, gradually reopen the Strait of Hormuz and set a timeline for further negotiations on nuclear issues.
Last week, American and Iranian negotiating teams landed on a draft of that deal they said they believed could win the support of both Trump and the Iranian regime. That version included a written commitment from Iran that it would not pursue a nuclear weapon -- a pledge Iran's leaders have also publicly made multiple times in recent years -- but did not include specific promises related to its broader nuclear program, which the regime has always insisted is intended for peaceful purposes.

Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral ties, Iran and Gaza in phone call
58718.08.2026, 10:24
Kushner has rare meeting with Hamas’ leader on Gaza
77217.08.2026, 10:29
Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan
86117.08.2026, 09:32
Israeli officials stunned by Iran’s rapid military recovery after 2026 war
133515.08.2026, 09:07
All goals of Russia's special military operation will be achieved - Lavrov
147614.08.2026, 16:34
Vance says low oil prices are top US goal in Iran conflict (video)
136614.08.2026, 14:46
Scott Bessent says US to apply 'never been seen' measures on Iran
137414.08.2026, 09:29
Finland will allocate €28.5 million to restore Ukraine’s energy sector
133713.08.2026, 17:39