Report of urns stacked at Wuhan funeral homes raises questions about the real coronavirus death toll in China. #Bloomberg
![]() 3479 Wednesday, 01 April, 2020, 17:05 The long lines and stacks of ash urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan are spurring questions about the true scale of coronavirus casualties at the epicenter of the outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the virus in the central Chinese city, where the disease first emerged in December, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight local funeral homes starting this week. As they did, photos circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500 urns on both Wednesday and Thursday, according to Chinese media outlet Caixin. Another picture published by Caixin showed 3,500 urns stacked on the ground inside. It’s unclear how many of the urns had been filled. People who answered the phone at six of the eight funeral homes in Wuhan said they either did not have data on how many urns were waiting to be collected, or were not authorized to disclose the numbers. Calls were not answered at the other two. |

Death isn't the end: Meta patented an AI that lets you keep posting from beyond the grave
476Yesterday, 22:40
Pentagon Used Anthropic’s Claude in Maduro Venezuela Raid
332Yesterday, 21:12
India Orders 288 Anti-Aircraft Missiles for S-400 Air Defense Systems from Russia
376Yesterday, 19:46
China Bought Some Venezuelan Oil From the US, Wright Says
122113.02.2026, 00:18
Ali Eyal wins the Hammer Museum's Mohn Award worth $100,000
105413.02.2026, 00:01
Wall Street Journal: US sent thousands of Starlink terminals to Iran amid protests
123412.02.2026, 21:49
Man in Italy throws 20 gold bars in the trash by mistake
100812.02.2026, 21:33
Police name Canada school shooting suspect
75912.02.2026, 14:32
