WHO says expects global COVID deaths to top 100,000 a week

2514
Tuesday, 19 January, 2021, 00:50
Global deaths from COVID-19 are expected to top 100,000 per week "very soon", from more than 93,000 reported last week, the World Health Organization's top emergency expert Mike Ryan said on Monday.
In an epidemiological update provided to the WHO's exective board meeting, he added that the Americas region accounted for about 47 percent of current deaths. In Europe, cases and deaths are stabilising but at a high level, he said.
"Currently our epidemiological situation is dynamic and uneven, it's futher complicated by variants," he told the board.

Moderna, Merck cancer vaccine shows promise in late-stage trial; Moderna stock more than doubles
104819.08.2026, 21:45
US revokes more than 600 visas to dismantle global 'birth tourism' networks
359713.08.2026, 00:33
Sergey Khachatryan wins the 1st prize in the individual race (photo)
233112.08.2026, 23:18
WHO chief: US immunization changes ‘not aligned with decades of evidence’
338112.08.2026, 20:09
An Invasive Mosquito Is Spreading With Alarming Speed, Threatening Africa’s Cities
646405.08.2026, 22:05
Healthy diet too expensive for one in three people globally, UN report finds
1592722.07.2026, 00:52
Confirmed Ebola cases in Democratic Republic of Congo rise to 1,963
1602114.07.2026, 16:34
Martha Lillard, last known US polio survivor using iron lung, dies aged 78 (photo)
1619513.07.2026, 23:41