Heavy gunfire near Guinea's presidential palace wounds two
Sunday, 05 September, 2021, 17:54
At least two people have been injured after heavy gunfire broke out near the presidential palace in Guinea's capital Conakry, while military vehicles patrolled the streets, witnesses said and videos shared on social media showed.
It was not clear who was exchanging fire.
A senior government official said 83-year-old President Alpha Conde was unharmed but gave no further details.
A military source said the gunfire involved angry members of the special forces, an elite army corps.
The source did not say what caused the anger.
Another military source said the only bridge connecting the mainland to the Kaloum neighbourhood, which houses most of the ministries and the presidential palace, had been sealed off and many soldiers, some heavily armed, were posted around the palace.
Three witnesses told Reuters they saw two civilians with gunshot wounds.
"I see groups of soldiers heading towards the presidency. There has been a lot of shooting," said Ousmane Camara, a resident of Kaloum.
Bayramov and Nuland exchanged views on regional issues32022.09.2021, 12:36
Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu and US Secretary of State Blinken discuss Nagorno Karabakh36322.09.2021, 11:54
Document to be signed between Azerbaijan and France regarding support to demining operations19020.09.2021, 22:20
Merkel to pay farewell visit to Macron in Paris35317.09.2021, 13:48
UK, US and Australia launch pact to counter China24016.09.2021, 12:06
Nikol Pashinyan told why he had used the Azerbaijani toponyms Eyvazli and Chayzami34615.09.2021, 17:18
Lynne Tracy: "The issue of the status of Nagorno-Karabakh is not solved, and it remains in the agenda of the OSCE Minsk Group" (video)26815.09.2021, 15:36
The session on the cases initiated against Robert Kocharyan and others was given a one-month delay19315.09.2021, 14:54