Death toll in ArcelorMittal coal mine accident in Kazakhstan rises to 32
Saturday, 28 October, 2023, 14:13
The death toll in a fire accident at the ArcelorMittal-operated Kostenko coal mine in central Kazakhstan has risen to 32, with another 23 miners remaining underground, the operator ArcelorMittal Temirtau said.
Earlier reports said 20 people had been killed in the fire.
"Of 252 miners, 208 have been taken out, of which 18 people sought medical assistance. As many as 23 miners remain underground. The bodies of 32 miners have been found. The rescue effort is ongoing," the operator said in a statement.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev ordered the cabinet to halt investment cooperation with ArcelorMittal Temirtau, the republic’s largest miner, in the wake of the accident.
2 Crew Members Killed As Saudi Fighter Jet Crashes During Training Exercise80407.12.2023, 20:48
4 people fatally stabbed, 2 officers injured in NYC knife attack (video)113205.12.2023, 10:30
The Azerbaijani armed forces discharged fire against the Armenian combat position, Gerasim Avetik Arakelyan, sustained a fatal gunshot wound133304.12.2023, 18:06
#TheTimesofIsrael: 398 Israeli soldiers and 59 police personnel have been dead since the war began126204.12.2023, 09:36
At least 3 dead, dozens wounded in MSU blast (photo)125903.12.2023, 10:37
Magnitude 7.5 earthquake hits off Philippines116903.12.2023, 09:48
Israel resumed fighting in Gaza on Friday morning143301.12.2023, 12:06
Ten villages in Crimea having power supply problems due to stormy weather (video)200327.11.2023, 10:06