Pakistan and India agree to return troops to previous positions

Pakistan and India have agreed to withdraw troop reinforcements deployed during their recent conflict back to their peacetime positions by the end of May, a senior Pakistani security official said on Tuesday.
More than 70 people were killed in the four-day conflict, which was sparked by an attack on tourists by gunmen in Indian-administered Kashmir last month that New Delhi accused Islamabad of backing – a charge it denies.
“Troops will be withdrawn to pre-conflict positions by the end of May,” the senior security official said on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media.
The official said both countries agreed a phased withdrawal of the additional troops and weaponry deployed, mostly on the already heavily militarised de facto border in Kashmir, known as The Line of Control (LoC).
It comes after the Indian army last week said both sides agreed to take “immediate measures to ensure troop reduction from the borders and forward areas”.
“All of these steps were initially planned to be completed within 10 days, but minor issues caused delays,” the Pakistani official added.

Chinese robot beats Usain Bolt's 100m world record in test run
31800:04
Iranian army says its military doctrine shifting from 'defensive to offensive'
506Yesterday, 12:25
Netanyahu holds security meeting on Syria and Turkey
40221.08.2026, 23:35
Erdogan, Trump discuss bilateral ties, Iran and Gaza in phone call
106018.08.2026, 10:24
Kushner has rare meeting with Hamas’ leader on Gaza
120617.08.2026, 10:29
Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan
132417.08.2026, 09:32
Israeli officials stunned by Iran’s rapid military recovery after 2026 war
173315.08.2026, 09:07
All goals of Russia's special military operation will be achieved - Lavrov
181614.08.2026, 16:34