Gaza’s Rafah crossing reopens, first medical evacuees enter Egypt

The first medical evacuees from Gaza entered Egypt on Monday as the Rafah border crossing reopened. It marked a key step in the Israel-Hamas ceasefire but a mostly symbolic one, as few people will be allowed to travel in either direction and no goods will pass through.
An Egyptian official said 50 Palestinians would cross in each direction on the first day of the crossing’s operation.
Ambulances waited for hours at the border before ferrying patients across after sunset, Egypt’s state-run Al-Qahera News satellite television channel showed. The crossing had been closed since Israeli troops seized it in May 2024.
About 20,000 Palestinian children and adults needing medical care hope to leave the devastated territory via the crossing, according to Gaza health officials. Thousands of other Palestinians outside the territory hope to enter and return home.
The number of travelers is expected to increase over time if the system is successful. Israel has said it, and Egypt will vet people for exit and entry.
The office of the North Sinai governor confirmed that the first Palestinian patient crossed into Egypt.

Turkey failed to find a buyer for Russian S-400s and may send them for scrap
21400:53
Explosion reported at school in Afghan capital Kabul
246Yesterday, 22:09
Jared Kushner to visit Israel and Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza
642Yesterday, 00:09
Renaissance paintings by Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicilian museum
61816.08.2026, 23:11
Astronomers find water in the harsh environment near the Milky Way's black hole
65816.08.2026, 21:13
Here are the results of the Armenian chess players at the 2026 European Junior U20 Chess Championship (photo)
43016.08.2026, 20:36
Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami announces $30,000 reward for killed, captured US soldiers
67416.08.2026, 16:25
U.S. military has lost roughly 25% of its Reaper drones as Iran war depletes arsenal
139013.08.2026, 22:53