US Embassy urges Americans to leave Iraq immediately over attack threat

The US Embassy in Baghdad on Thursday urged American citizens to leave Iraq immediately, warning of possible attacks in the capital within the next 24 to 48 hours.
In a security alert posted on the US social media platform X, the embassy said Iran-allied Iraqi militias may be planning attacks in central Baghdad targeting US citizens and interests.
Potential targets could include Americans, companies, universities, diplomatic facilities, energy infrastructure, hotels and airports, as well as Iraqi institutions and civilian sites perceived to be linked to the United States, it said.
The embassy noted that militias have previously targeted Americans for kidnapping and urged citizens to depart the country without delay.
“Do not travel to Iraq for any reason. Leave immediately if you are there,” the alert said.
The United States accuses some Iraqi militant groups of ties to Iran and of carrying out attacks on US bases in the region.

Jared Kushner to visit Israel and Egypt next week with Board of Peace officials to talk Gaza
56700:09
Renaissance paintings by Antonello da Messina stolen from Sicilian museum
551Yesterday, 23:11
Astronomers find water in the harsh environment near the Milky Way's black hole
605Yesterday, 21:13
Here are the results of the Armenian chess players at the 2026 European Junior U20 Chess Championship (photo)
407Yesterday, 20:36
Iranian Army Chief Amir Hatami announces $30,000 reward for killed, captured US soldiers
631Yesterday, 16:25
U.S. military has lost roughly 25% of its Reaper drones as Iran war depletes arsenal
133813.08.2026, 22:53
Trump administration cuts Medicaid funding for youth gender-affirming care
145913.08.2026, 00:11
Trump sued over Truth Social's $100,000 early access service
130812.08.2026, 23:56