Turkey attacks US Special Forces in Syria, apparently by mistake
Saturday, 12 October, 2019, 12:05
Acontingent of U.S. Special Forces was caught up in Turkish shelling against U.S.-backed Kurdish positions in northern Syria, days after President Donald Trump told his Turkish counterpart he would withdraw U.S. troops from certain positions in the area. A senior Pentagon official said shelling by the Turkish forces was so heavy that the U.S. personnel considered firing back in self-defense.
Newsweek has learned through both an Iraqi Kurdish intelligence official and the senior Pentagon official that Special Forces operating on Mashtenour hill in the majority-Kurdish city of Kobani fell under artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting their so-called "Operation Peace Spring" against Kurdish fighters backed by the U.S. but considered terrorist organizations by Turkey. No injuries have been reported.
Instead of returning fire, the Special Forces withdrew once the shelling had ceased. Newsweek previously reported Wednesday that the current rules of engagement for U.S. forces continue to be centered around self-defense and that no order has been issued by the Pentagon for a complete withdrawal from Syria.
Trump: Prepare for a ‘very painful two weeks’ ahead15801.04.2020, 19:30
US wages medical terror against Iranians amidst pandemic: Zarif14731.03.2020, 05:20
German state minister kills himself as #coronavirus hits economy20730.03.2020, 18:10
Macron vows support for Italy as country logs its highest one-day death toll. #France2417730.03.2020, 15:35