'Window is closing' to halt virus in US, says health secretary

US health secretary Alex Azar has warned that “the window is closing” on the country’s chance to take action to effectively curb the coronavirus, as the number of confirmed cases surpassed 2.5m.
The Health and Human Services secretary pointed to a recent surge in infections, particularly in the south and said people have “to act responsibly” by social distancing and wearing face masks especially “in these hot zones”.
For a third consecutive day on Saturday, the number of confirmed US cases rose by more than 40,000. In Arizona, cases have risen by 267% so far in June and jumped by a record 3,857 cases on Sunday, the eighth record-breaking increase this month. Overall, US deaths from Covid-19 have passed 125,000 with more than 2.5m confirmed cases, according to compiled by Johns Hopkins University, far more than any other country in the world.

Moderna, Merck cancer vaccine shows promise in late-stage trial; Moderna stock more than doubles
124719.08.2026, 21:45
US revokes more than 600 visas to dismantle global 'birth tourism' networks
379313.08.2026, 00:33
Sergey Khachatryan wins the 1st prize in the individual race (photo)
244812.08.2026, 23:18
WHO chief: US immunization changes ‘not aligned with decades of evidence’
357312.08.2026, 20:09
An Invasive Mosquito Is Spreading With Alarming Speed, Threatening Africa’s Cities
658505.08.2026, 22:05
Healthy diet too expensive for one in three people globally, UN report finds
1601122.07.2026, 00:52
Confirmed Ebola cases in Democratic Republic of Congo rise to 1,963
1610114.07.2026, 16:34
Martha Lillard, last known US polio survivor using iron lung, dies aged 78 (photo)
1627213.07.2026, 23:41